directory ? ? ?

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 04:48:29 EDT 2007

Bill Marriot wrote:

"It's a synonym for defaultFolder, as is "folder" --
and indeed is documented
as such, at least in Beta 4. "

It is only documented in one direction! If I look up
"folder" - there it is.

If I look up "directory" I draw a blank . . .

I do not take "sides" re Windows or Macs - I work ,
largely with Macs and Linux (when I get fed up I go
over to my BBC Master Micro Compact and do some "real
programming") - but grew up on a VAX !!!! So tend to
think "directory" when I am thinking non-visually, and
"folder" when I am thinking about GUIs.

Now, back to the documentation:

not all xTalk users or would-be users may have had
such a wonderful education as me :) and not realise
that directory = folder.

in light of my wonderful education I have always
thought of 'folder' as a graphical representation of a
directory - so did not assume they were the same!!!!

sincerely, with quite a lots of cheese on top,
Richmond Mathewson

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.