Default button placement in Linux GUIs

Scott Kane scott at cdroo.com
Sat Apr 21 01:02:04 EDT 2007

Hi Chipp,

> In anycase, I'm not sure dialogs are necessarily an OS specific thing
> anymore. I think some people who use multiple OS'es-- and there are
> more of these people-- may have a consistent contextual memory of button
> placement, rather than preferred OS placement. IOW, they relate
> to button placement in context of the specific app they're using, not the
> OS they're on.

This fascinates me.  To my mind I think the day will come where either the
application (or the OS) will allow the user to customize this.  Stuff like
Boot Camp, Parrels, VMware etc are being used increasingly as well.  Being
able to adjust the defaults according to user pref's rather than just the
local UI convention could well be a usability issue in itself as it would
certainly seem this is going to be an increasing problem particularly with
less sophisticated users who can not (or will not) make the mental jump.

Scott