Default button placement in Linux GUIs

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat Apr 21 00:15:31 EDT 2007

I had an interesting revelation today regarding button placement and
overall usability concerns. I was using a cross-platform (and custom
GUI) 3D app on my Mac. I typically use it on PC. I kept hitting the
wrong dialog button, because they swapped positions from PC to Mac.
Interestingly, I also always have a heck of a time with Command-C vs
Ctrl-C for copying as well (I do agree with Apple, Command-C is
easier, it's just I'm now used to Ctrl-C).

In anycase, I'm not sure dialogs are necessarily an OS specific thing
anymore. I think some people who use multiple OS'es-- and there are
more of these people-- may have a consistent contextual memory of
button placement, rather than preferred OS placement. IOW, they relate
to button placement in context of the specific app they're using, not
the OS they're on.