how to adress the object name and not the number?

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Fri Apr 20 06:03:37 EDT 2007

On 20 Apr 2007, at 09:44, Bill Marriott wrote:

> Eric,
>

> I prefer to name any object with a single word
> ("LastBackupDate5" for instance) and *always* quoted even if XTalks
> don't make it compulsory in this case.
> And to retrieve the right suffix, instead of using last word, I just
> use char x to -1:
> <<<
>
> Right! I always, always quote string literals as well, even though
> Rev will handle it for me if I don't.
>
> But on the other idea, this is exactly the problem I'm trying to
> solve. :) It's cumbersome because you've got the problem of a
> variant number of items and length of the label prefix.
>
> If you have more than 10 items (as in my example) you can't use
> digits 0-9 and instead have to force your numbering system to two
> digits. Rev doesn't comprehend "last 2 char" so you instead have to
> write something like

Just write a couple of Utility function like this:

-
--
--  UtilStringPadLeft
-

   put theString into myString
   repeat while the length of myString < theStringMaxSize
     put thePadChar & myString into myString
   end repeat

   return myString
end UtilStringPadLeft

-
--
--  UtilStringPadRight
-
   local myString

   put theString into myString
   repeat while the length of myString < theStringMaxSize
     put  myString & thePadChar into myString
   end repeat

   return myString
end UtilStringPadRight

Then do:

put "ImameName" & UtilStringPadLeft(mySequenceNumber,4,"0") into
myImageName

All the Best
Dave