SecuROM copy protection and Rev

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Apr 19 22:40:15 EDT 2007

>> Does anyone have any experience of employing Rev executables on CDs
>> protected with Sony's SecuROM process - i.e. Does it work?
>
> No direct experience.   However a quick Google search reveals that (I'm not
> going to post the Google search for obvious reasons) that it's no more
> secure than any other protection system.  If a programmer can write the algo
> to protect a cracker can prepare the tools to bypass it given the motivation
> and time to do so.  See a recent article I did for the Rev newsletter and
> I'll be adding a follow-up that takes it a bit further in the future.
>
> Scott Kane

Hi Scott,

The SecuROM copy protection has been requested by a client so that's the way
we have to go. We've used SecuROM with Director applications before without
any problems but they (Director apps) are 'officially' supported within the
encryption process. 'Standard' Windows and Mac apps are supposed to work
just as well but you never know. I just wondered whether anyone had a
actually used the process with Rev standalones.

Cheers,

Terry...

--
Dr Terry Judd
Lecturer in Educational Technology (Design)

61-3 8344 0187