Default button placement in Linux GUIs

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue Apr 17 20:57:49 EDT 2007

While I'm sure Bruce has scads of data to back his assertion, I'm not sure
it's such a big deal. I have for years created my own interface layer, and
placed the OK button on the right for my custom created dialogs. I sell
mostly to PC users and I've never had a single complaint about the
positioning of my OK and/or Cancel buttons.

I'd rather Bruce and Apple tackle some larger issues, such as a decent way
to manage resizing windows.

Let me see, to resize my mostly fullscreen browser window to exactly the
bottom half of my screen on WinXP, it takes a maximum of 2 click-drag
operations. Click on the topright corner and drag to the topLeft of where I
want it, then click on the botRight and drag it to where I want it. Done.

Try doing something as simple as that on a Mac. Hmm. Start by dragging the
botRight up to about half, now drag the window down, see that it is now too
large, so drag it back up, now resize again from bot right and try again.
Once it's small enough, drag the top back down and then a final resize of
the bot right. Ouch.