Default button placement in Linux GUIs

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 16:37:11 EDT 2007

But Richard, my point is a slightly different one.  Leave aside what we think
of HIGs - my own reaction to the Gnome guys, unlike yours, is total
incomprehension.  But leave this aside.

This isn't really the issue.  The issue is, even if you are using Ubuntu, and
are using Gnome, odds are you are not only using Gnome or gtk apps.  You're
almost certainly using KDE apps as well.  And probably a few others.  Because
any linux distro is going to ship with hundreds of apps, and they are a mixed
bunch.  For instance, k3b is usually recognised as THE CD burning app, but
its KDE.  Even gnome users will use it.   Kate is a superb multi pane editor,
and gedit wonderful if you want it stripped down and simple.  Most people
will have and use both whether on gnome or kde.   Email is similar.  Lots of
people who don't care much for gnome will use evolution as a mail client, but
lots of gnome people will use kmail, like me.  In either case our mail client
is out of synch with the 'house style' of the desktop, but we don't notice.

So there is no such thing, in Linux, as an homogenous user environment.  This
is because of the huge variety of stuff the distros ship with.  And because
Ubuntu after all, while gnome may be the default, allows installation of KDE
with a snap of the fingers.  And then, there's Kubuntu.  But even if you go
to Kubuntu, you will probably find yourself with several gnome apps.

The problem with trying to match the user environment is, you can't do it,
because it don't exist.  I think we differ in how we look at this - to me,
homogeneity is just irrelevant.  And it is to most users I know, who I end up
putting on a gnome desktop with lots of kde apps.   But however we feel about
it, its absence is just a fact of the environment right now.

So I am not suggesting making life easy for yourself particularly.  Just,
focus on what will matter to users, and whether it looks like gnome or kde I
don't think is going to be one of these things.

Peter