Default button placement in Linux GUIs

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 15:23:39 EDT 2007

"Does the Rev engine provide a way to determine which window manager it's
running under in Linux?

"If not, how can we reconcile this issue if we want to deploy our apps to
either window manager?"

Consider the environment your users are in, and don't worry about it - just
adopt one style or the other.  All your users will be using some kde and some
gnome apps.  So they will have had to get used to different looks and feels
whatever WM they use. Whatever you do will not strike them as in any way odd
or remarkable.

For instance, I use gnome or fluxbox as WM, or
sometimes WindowMaker, and kmail and firefox.  Do they look the same?
Probably not.  I don't even notice.... I use xfe as a file manager, aka
Finder, with WindowMaker and Fluxbox, and Nautilus with Gnome.  Or sometimes
Konqueror. xfe of course was written in the Fox toolkit, whereas Nautilus is
gtk and Konqueror trolltech.  It looks different from either, but this was
the first time it had occurred to me that it is.

The Apple gui design guidelines, or human interface guidelines in general,
well, they were great in the eighties, but time has moved on.  At least for
Linux users.  Uniform look and feel of apps is simply not a factor for us.

Peter