U3 drive problem

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 16 14:34:06 EDT 2007

Walton Sumner wrote:
> The U3 developers here may find this interesting. I have a 1 GB U3
> "GeekSquad" flash drive that worked this morning to transfer a file from a
> PC to a Mac, it was gracefully removed from the Mac, and now neither PC nor
> Mac recognizes the drive as valid, and both computers offer to reformat the
> drive for me. My call to "1-800-Geeksqua(d)", printed on the side of my
> flash drive, cannot be completed.
>
> U3 web site describes trouble shooting for Launchpads not responding.
>
> http://www.u3.com/support/faq.aspx#U3%20Launchpad1
>
> Tried the directions, no improvement.

U3 is a lot of work for the small convenience of auto-launching a
launcher that the user must then use to launch your app, and only on one
platform.

One of the cool things about Rev is that it's standalones are inherently
self-contained anyway, so they don't necessarily require the sort of
installation process common with more DLL-dependent apps like VB.

So if the goal is to deploy to portable flash drives, there's no need to
limit yourself to the relatively small subset of those drives compliant
with the U3 specs.  You can deploy easily to any flash drive for any OS
without it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal