Runrev & Microsoft sql server

Len Morgan len-morgan at crcom.net
Thu Apr 12 12:01:05 EDT 2007

While I haven't used SQLExpress, I HAVE used SQL Server.  If your problem with mySQL (which I am NOT recommending), is the difficulty of setting up the server, I don't think you're going to do any better with SQLExpress.  Some things you didn't mention:

1) Will this be a multiuser database?
2) Will you the server and clients be on the same subnet?
3) Is there any (future) possibility of the server running on something besides an MS OS?  If so, forget SQLExpress

If it were me, I'd use PostgreSQL.  They have a native Windows port with a simple installer.  It's really FREE to use in any way you want, has unlimited users and there is a Rev driver for it.  With SQLExpress, you're going to have to use ODBC and that means you'll have to set up DSNs on every client machine.  I'm not sure if this last step can be scripted and I'm pretty sure you'll need Admin rights on the client machines to set this up.  PostgreSQL doesn't require this (on the clients).

If this is not a multiuser app, you could look into SQLLite but I think that only runs on the local machine (I could be wrong).  In any case, it's a single user database.

Hope that helps,

Len Morgan