Ugly fonts

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Thu Apr 12 08:54:02 EDT 2007

Signe Marie Sanne,

> Now I wonder: When a new computer is delivered to a private user,  will
> the box with Clear type be default setting, or is it just  Standard that
> is the default? Is the resolution 1280x1024 now used as  default?

It all depends on the particular OEM.

ClearType was specifically developed for LCD displays, and some people do
not find it helpful when using a CRT-style display. As LCDs have fallen in
price and improved in quality, almost all new systems ship with LCDs. And of
course notebooks use LCDs as well. So, the smart OEM will probably ship with
ClearType on by default.

The last time I purchased a retail standalone copy of XP Professional, the
Standard method was enabled by default. This could easily be different now,
as Microsoft tweaks things over time.

The standard resolutions also depend on the display shipped with the system.
Usually its set to whatever the native resolution of the LCD happens to be.

Having said all of that, I tried distributing a standalone some time ago
that looked much better with ClearType activated. I found that most users
did NOT have this option turned on. I tried to use a registry hack to turn
it on for them, but either I didn't know what I was doing, or some
additional step was needed besides updating the registry. So I ended up just
providing instructions for people to do this on their own.

Even with ClearType turned on, Windows fonts appear thinner, overall, than
Mac ones. This is partly due to font metrics on the two systems, and partly
because Macs use a "darker" smoothing algorithm than PCs.

- Bill