XP and Vista question

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Tue Apr 10 18:15:49 EDT 2007

I was just about to post that same link.

The paper, a dry, pictureless but very informative and cleverly
written tome called "A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content
Protection", describes troubles with the Content Protection
specification of Vista, Microsoft’s next operating system.

Here is the "Executive Executive Summary":

     "The Vista Content Protection specification could very well
constitute the longest suicide note in history."

Ostensibly, professional media applications, like editing, motion
graphics and audio applications from Adobe, Avid/DigiDesign, Discreet
and many other Windows developers will somehow be able to bypass or
disable this protection scheme, but it might be such a laborious
process that some developers will lean towards OS X or Linux, or, if
cross-platform, drop the Vista version.

Adobe has already announced that the next versions of Premiere,
Encore and other previously Windows-only apps will also be released
on OS X.

Or, Microsoft could come to their senses and greatly modify this spec.

But, if the predictions made in this document are true, it could make
professional media production systems based on Vista *more expensive*
than equivalent performance OS X systems, due to needing more
powerful CPUs and GPUs, and faster busses to provide the same speed,
meaning the 50% of digital media pros who use Windows might have to
re-evaluate to cut costs when it comes time to upgrade their hardware.

Historically, digital media pros who use Windows systems do so either
because of Windows-only software or because they were more cost-
effective.

Like you, I believe digital media is the future, and so a mutiny to
OS X by digital media pros will lead a "sea change" that subtly,
imperceptibly, will tilt the platform away from Vista.