image data

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Mon Apr 9 20:06:25 EDT 2007

At 10:19 PM -0700 4/8/2007, Mark Wieder wrote:
>>  the text property of an image is the actual image data. So:
>
>>  set the text of image "testImage" to tJPGData
>
>This is one of those cases where I feel the language loses its
>intuitiveness... I know you have to do this, but it makes absolutely
>no sense to me.

It's historical. In HyperCard 1.0, only fields had settable contents,
so the "text" property made perfect sense. When HyperCard 2.0
introduced buttons with contents, it still used "the text", and of
course with images we go completely off the rails.

For what it's worth, "put XXX into <object>" does the same thing as
"set the text of <object> to XXX", and is considerably more
intuitive. But I wouldn't object at all to adding a synonymous
"content" property or something similar.
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com