Linux installation

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Apr 6 19:14:52 EDT 2007

Bob Warren wrote:
> I can't give you any details, but I might have a tip that leads you in
> the right direction. This year, for the first time, my wife did our
> income tax declarations using Linux, and as you know, Linux has been
> officially adopted by the Brazilian government. The software was
> installed using InstallShield, and it was very impressive.
>
> You might also like to look at the installer used by Xara which is also
> very impressive, though this might be their own rather than a
> commercially-available installer (I can't quite remember).

Thanks for the info, Bob.  But rather than using an existing installer
I'm aiming to write my own.  So what I'm looking for is info on what
each of the window managers (KDE, Gnome -- other popular ones?) requires
for an app to:

- Set up document file type associations
- Assign icons for the app and the documents
- Add shortcuts to the Start menu

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation