How does "ask file with type" work?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Apr 5 13:01:24 EDT 2007

Dave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a script with the following ask statement:
>
>   ask file "Enter Name of New Script File" with myScriptFolderPath with
> type "rev"
>
> What is this supposed to do?

The "types" parameter fills in the popup button in Windows file dialogs.
It doesn't do anything on other systems. This allows Windows users to
choose a file type for their new file.

> This is what I want to happen:
>
> The choose file dialog is displayed.
> The user enters a file name with or without an extension (or is forced
> to enter an extension) and the extension appended to file name.
> If the file exists they are prompted to replace the current file or not.
>
> At the moment, if the user enters a file without an extension this name
> is passed back. This is ok and it's easy to handle, but it means that I
> will have two different "File Exists, Replace this file?" dialogs which
> is messy and inconsistent.

There isn't a good way around this. The most common approach is to
provide a default file name that includes the extension. Most users will
take the hint and use the extension, particularly Windows users because
they are used to this. Mac users vary. They are more accustomed to not
needing file extensions and they may remove it.

The best thing would be to just allow the user to specify any name they
want, with or without an extension. That way, whatever they enter will
likely match their previous file name.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com