Work around for Beep not working on RunRev 2.7.x+

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Thu Apr 5 09:42:21 EDT 2007

On 4 Apr 2007, at 18:34, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>>>
>>> I've never had it fail in any version, on any OS, on any hardware
>>> -- except after using Audacity in OS X, as I mentioned in another
>>> thread. Did you check the MIDI Setup app to see if the sound
>>> output is at the right Hz?
>>>
>>> <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300832>
>> Yes, I checked that when I saw your post on this subject. However
>> I can't see it is that since it works under 2.6.6.152 and it works
>> with other applications.
>
> I've never heard of beep not working, except on some Windows
> systems without compatible sound cards. So yes, a mystery. Have you
> checked the global "playloudness" property?

playloudness was set to 100. However I have managed to make it work!
I went into Sound panel of the System Preferences and selected a
different sound, tried it and it worked. I then set it back to the
original sound, tried it again and it now it works ok!!!!!

I have tried this in 2.7.4, 2.8.0.350 and 2.8.0.370 and it works in
all three as well as in 2.6.6.152.

Looks like something weird happened sometime after version
2.6.6.1.52, since this version has always "beeped" correctly.

All the Best and Happy Easter
Dave