Windows question

Lars Brehmer larsbrehmer at mac.com
Thu Apr 5 07:04:51 EDT 2007

Hey there Chip and Jaqueline (and anyone who can help!)

>> I have an application made on a Mac that I am testing in Windows
>> and it does not show up with the other open apps with alt+tab. The
>> interesting thing is that I have similar applications I have made
>> that DO show up there, and I made them the same way with the exact
>> same .ico file for the icons.  Furthermore, when I minimize this
>> app to the task bar, it doesn't actually do that - it collapses to
>> a small rectangular box just above the task bar that needs to be
>> double clicked, not single clicked to expand again. Obviously
>> something is wrong
>
> Perhaps you have the stacks decorations set to empty? If so, then
> it won't
> show up in the task bar. I believe also applications which window
> type are
> set to palette have the same issue.

Chip;
Well, this apparently isn't quite correct.  I have other standalones
with decorations set to empty and they behave just fine.  And no
palette windows either. And even more interesting is the following
-  this is an app that needs a bunch of tweeks when I make the
Windows standalone - mostly things like object positions and fonts,
etc.  But the big problem lies in something I have been struggling
with for a long time.

The Mac version has a window shape and decorations set to empty.
Yet it collapses into the task bar correctly!
It show up in the alt+tab open applications list!
The shape is simply a rectangle with rounded corners.
Several scripts use visual effect reveal (which has to be changed to
wipe in windows to do the same thing).

Visual effects DO NOT work in Windows with this windowshape!
But they do work just fine with a regular rectangle shape.
So I change the stack shape to a regular rectangle as one of my tweeks.
Now the visual effects work but it does not collapse into the taskbar
AND does not show up in the alt+tab apps list.

So to summaraize, I can either have the shape I want and no visual
effects or the visual effects but not the shape that I want. In both
cases the decorations are empty.  I have redone the Windows
standalone on the mac and the Windows machine and in both cases once
with the tweeks being done before the standalone is made and once
with the tweeks done after the standalone is done, but always with
the same results.

I just cannot get both the shape and the effects that I want in
Windows! But then again I am a windows idiot and fully realize my
shortcomings there.  My Windows testing machine is a cheap HP running
XP home on a Celeron processor (Oh my god - could this be the reason
effects don't work in Windows???? It never occurred to me before!
Anyone?)

If anyone has a minute to check this out, contact me offline and I
will get the app to you with detailed instructions on recreating this
bizarre problem.

>> ... a little bit later...
>>
>> Ok, I have been fooling around and tried something for the first
>> time, namely create the Windows standalone on my Windows test
>> machine.  I never did this before because it has always worked
>> fine on the Mac and I am an idiot with Windows.  Here is what
>> happened - the standalone was created just fine, and it collapses
>> properly to the task bar AND it shows up in the alt+tab open
>> applications list.  This is an acceptable solution, but there is
>> one new problem - the application icon doesn't work.
>
> You shouldn't have to build on Windows, it's very odd. If it's
> reproducible, I hope you'll put it into the bug database. I haven't
> tried a Windows standalone in 2.8, but it was working fine in
> 2.7.x. So
> if it's broken, it's a new bug and now would be a good time to
> report it.

Jaqueline:
I goofed - this doesn't actually work - I made the standalone in
Windows but forgot to do the tweeks that cause the collapse/alt+tab
problems in the first place, so I will continue to make my standalone
on the Mac.

Cheers!

Lars