logos and copyrights

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Wed Apr 4 13:50:29 EDT 2007

The Mac and Universal logos are property of Apple, the Windows logo of
Microsoft.
However both have rather restrictive regulations and intrusive hoops
for you to jump trough before they allow the use of their Icons. (Just
recently the topic came up for me)

Basically as a small developer with limited time and ressources you
have three options:

1. Ask both companies for allowing the use of their Icons, applying for
the respective compatibility programs.
2. Take the Icons without asking, at the possibility of a cease and
desist order or other legal prosecution.
3. Use descriptive Text (there's some rules even for that).

Related Links (thanks Heather!):
http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/guidelinesfor3rdparties.html
http://developer.apple.com/softwarelicensing/agreements/maclogo.html
http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/intellectualproperty/trademarks/
logo/programs.mspx

PS: I'm gonna go with option 2, as I won't sell anything, and will have
a very narrow user group.