about Galaxy

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Tue Sep 26 12:10:45 EDT 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 5:04 AM, André.Bisseret wrote:

>> I'm a 'off-and-on' Galaxy user. It's me, my style, NOT Galaxy -
>> which is a
>> great product. One of the reasons I keep checking out the latest
>> Galaxy is
>> because the simple act of 'cmd - v' (which on the Mac has always
>> pasted
>> since the days of Noah) regularly doesn't work in the Rev IDE - it
>> always
>> works in Galaxy.
>>
>> A product that has trouble handling 'cmd - v' has got to raise the
>> eyebrows
>> of anyone who's taking it for a test spin.

I almost never sit down to an editing session with the Rev IDE where
cmd-v doesn't stop working in a script editor window. If you can
untangle those negatives, you'll see what I mean is cmd-v inevitably
breaks for me. It can be fixed temporarily if I close the script
editing window and reopen the same script (most likely reinitializing
something). I theorize that there's an error in the IDE that's
swallowed by a try-catch somewhere. I usually notice the failure when
I'm pasting into the "find" field; but once I notice it there, it's
broken in the script field, too. I wonder whether I've subconsciously
learned what the error's trigger is. Sometimes when I go to paste, I
have a hunch that it's not going to work and I'm usually right, but I
have no conscious idea why. I did bug report it (3574), and although
the record says I didn't provide enough information, I did reply to
Oliver via email; nevertheless, they closed the bug. The error
frequency has decreased with recent releases, but it was still there
for me in 2.7.3. If it's a problem for anyone else, perhaps reopening
the bug with more evidence would be a good idea.

Which reminds me... does anyone else out there wish, sometimes
several times a day - nay, several times an hour - that Rev (or
Galaxy) implemented cmd-E (or something) to automatically copy the
selected text to the "find" field, as many other programs do? Or is
that just an idiosyncratic pet peeve?

Tereza Snyder

    Califex Software, Inc.
    www.califexsoftware.com