about Galaxy

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Sep 25 15:49:38 EDT 2006

Chipp-

Sunday, September 24, 2006, 4:37:47 PM, you wrote:

> I respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement.

> Here's my 2 cents, for whatever it's worth.

> In order for Rev to succeed, it needs to have a decent out of the box
> user experience. Look what happened to MetaCard which never had one.
> Besides, asking that a script editor be at least as good as a previous
> version (2.7 is way slower and IMO 'unfriendlier' than the 2.6
> version) shouldn't be such a problem.

> I'm pretty much staying off of 2.7 for that reason alone.

> Besides, while Jerry and Trevor are two of the best Rev programmers
> and do great work, the burden of running two IDE's (Galaxy and Rev's)
> does take a toll on performance. Now, if Rev could just 'get out of
> the way' and let Galaxy take over, it might make things different.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think we're disagreeing as much as
looking at this from two different viewpoints. I've been saying for a
long time that the rev out-of-box experience is terrible. Both for
nonprogrammers and for seasoned developers. That needs to change, and
an improved IDE is part of that. So is an engine that has a list of
long-standing bugs fixed. And usable and complete documentation. With
the rev team's limited resources, I'd prefer them to fix things that
only they can fix. And I do agree that rev would be better off
"getting out of the way" and turning over the user experience to
Galaxy.

Galaxy is starting to head in the direction of becoming the front end
I'd like to have. There have been some speed bumps along the way, but
I use it daily on Windows now. But do note that some of the nicer
features aren't in the 2.6 version. At least yet. However, the
combination of 2.7.4 and the latest Galaxy builds are making for a
very smooth ride.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net