Player Questions

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Thu Sep 14 05:08:55 EDT 2006

Hi John,

> Greetings All,
>
> I have several questions this afternoon. . .
>
> 1.  I am using Klaus Major's "makemesmile" function to play songs
> in REV.

Thank you very much, looks like I'm in demand now :-)

> If there is just one song in the list, I can figure out the
> duration.  However, if there are two or more songs in the list, the
> duration reported during the playback of the first song is the
> duration of just that song.  The duration reported during the
> playback of the second song is the cumulative duration of both
> songs . . . and so on.

Yes, if you query the "duration" etc... of a player set to a SMIL
file, it will report the SUM of all
the files in the SMIL file.

> Is it possible to get a report of the duration of all the songs
> together from the very start?

Yes, but not via SMIL.

You could:

1. Use Trevors wonderful EnhancedQTExternal to get the durations of
the songs
from the files on disk in a loop and add these values.

2. Load the songs in a loop into a player object and add the values
of their durations.

> 2. I would like to report which song is playing, but I'm not sure
> how to retrieve this information.

You could use Rev 2.7.3, if possible, in this version looooong
filenames on OS X in players
are finally supported. But then you will need another approach, since
SMIL files can not do
you need.

> 3. Klaus made his "makemesmile" function available to me because I
> was running into long file names that contained odd characters.
> For the most part, his script works fine.  However, the following
> files refuse to play, and I'm wandering if anyone knows why.  They
> play OK in iTunes.  I thought maybe I was running up against a
> character limitation, but I have other songs that have longer
> names, and they play OK.
> /Documents/iTunes Music/ICE (The Island Choral Experience) &
> Friends/World's Greatest Hymns & Songs of the Bible Vol. 5 - Kids
> Sing Praises/This Is My Commandment.m4p
> /Documents/iTunes Music/Compilations/I Could Sing Your Love Forever
> Kids_ 12 Modern Worship Songs for the Next Generation/I Could Sing
> of Your Love Forever.m4p
> /Documents/iTunes Music/Compilations/America's 25 Favorite Praise &
> Worship Choruses for Kids, Vol. 3/Cry of My Heart.m4p
> /Documents/iTunes Music/Joshua Messick/Stillness/Selah (Prelude in
> C _ More Precious than Silver _ Canon in D _ Y.m4p
> /Documents/iTunes Music/Compilations/America's 25 Favorite Praise &
> Worship Choruses for Kids, Vol. 3/We Will Glorify.m4p

Very strange, indeed?
I am sure they play fine QT Player?!!!

Then i have no idea, sorry :-/

Did you check "the result"?

> Thanks for any and all help you can give.
>

> Sincerely,
> John Miller

Regards

Klaus Major