If the visible of the menubar is true?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Oct 31 22:13:58 EST 2006

On 10/31/06 9:01 PM, "Ken Ray" <kray at sonsothunder.com> wrote:

> On 10/31/06 8:48 PM, "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>
>> wouter wrote:
>>
>>> On Mac OS X (didn't test in OS 9) you can use the following
>>> to test for the visible of the menubar:
>>>
>>> put the menubar is not hidden
>>> or
>>> put the menubar is hidden
>>
>> "hidden"?
>>
>> Wow.  Never would have guessed that one.
>>
>> Is that token used for any other element in the language?
>>
>> I wonder why "visible" is not used for the menubar as it is for
>> everything else...
>
> Actually you *can* use it, like:
>
>   put the menubar is visible
>   put the menubar is not visible
>
> But you *can't* use it this way:
>
>   put the visible of the menubar
>   put the visible of menubar

I also noticed another oddity - I checked how the token "hidden" is used,
under the assumption that since you can execute the "hide" command on an
object (like a button), I thought perhaps that:

  put button 1 is hidden
  put button 1 is not hidden

would work as expected... but it doesn't! If you have a visible button, and
executed both of the two statement above, you get:

  put button 1 is hidden  --> false
  put button 1 is not hidden  --> true

which is correct. But if you then hide the button with:

  hide button 1

and then executed the two statements you get this:

  put button 1 is hidden  --> false
  put button 1 is not hidden  --> true

which is *incorrect*. However checking "the visible" works as expected.

Odd...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/