Rules governing stack purging

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Oct 31 14:49:36 EST 2006

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Here's a circumstance in which I don't know what the result would be:
>>
>> You have a stack file with mainstack "A" and substack "B", both with
>> their destroyStack set to true.  You open substack "B", which causes the
>> whole stackfile to be read into memory, but do not open stack "A".
>>
>> When you close stack "B", does the stackfile remain in memory?
>
> Yes, because destroystack is ignored for substacks. It is impossible to
> remove a substack from RAM until the whole stackfile is removed.

That seems understandable, if snytactically murky.  It means that even
though we've never done anything in our script with stack "A", we still
need to run a "delete stack" on it to purge stack "B".

Hence Jeanne and my request for a "purge stack" command. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation