Activating a Function in a Different Stack

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Tue Oct 31 10:17:02 EST 2006

Opps! A typeo got into it! Should be:

1.  Do this:

function CalledFromDiffStack(p1,p2,p3)

-- This refers to the stack etc. that called this one

put CalledFromThisStack(p1,p2,p3) into myValue
return myValue
end CalledFromDiffStack

function CalledFromThisStack(p1,p2,p3)

-- this refers to the stack that called this function - e.g. the
right one!

return VALUE
end CalledFromThisStack

Hi,

You have to be careful about using "this" as as in "this stack",
"this card", etc.

There are a number of ways around it:

1.  Do this:

function CalledFromDiffStack

-- This refers to the stack etc. that called this one

put CalledFromThisStack into myValue
end CalledFromDiffStack

function CalledFromThisStack

-- this refers to the stack that called this function - e.g. the
right one!

end CalledFromThisStack

2.  Use "me" instead of "this stack" etc. as in set the xxx of me to
yyyy.

Also it's better to use the long name of this stack when calling the
function in a different stack, don't know why, but the short name
sometimes doesn't work.

Hope this Helps
Cheers
Dave

On 31 Oct 2006, at 01:45, Bridger Maxwell wrote:

> Wow, thanks for the great response everyone.  I tried a few and I
> found that
> the value function works the best.  I had actually been using virtual
> properties in a few places instead of functions, but the problem
> then was
> that I couldn't pass parameters to them.  Here is the final script:
>
>    put "Stack" && where & quote into vStack
>    put requestData && "of" && vStack into vRequest
>    try
>      put value(vRequest,vStack) into vReturn
>    end try
>
> One thing is still a little confusing though.  Calling a function
> like "the
> short name of the current stack" return the name of the right
> stack, but a
> request like "the mouseLoc" returns a value that is relative to the
> stack
> that is retrieving the data, even if that stack isn't the top
> stack.  If the
> mouseloc function is not relative to the top stack, and it is not
> relative
> to the stack that the value is being requested from, how does it
> decide
> which stack it is relative to and how can I know which functions
> are funny
> like that?
> Also one odd quirk I discovered was that when nesting value
> functions things
> get weird.  i.e
> value( (value(vRequest,vStack) ), vStack)
> "the short name of me" would return "Odyssey" when the stack name was
> "Odyssey Sensors", and  that was the only function that would come
> close to
> working.  Not important, but very mystifying.
>
>  TTFN
>    Bridger
subscription preferences: