Rules governing stack purging

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Mon Oct 30 14:00:39 EST 2006

On 30 Oct 2006, at 17:26, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> It seems to be correct to assume that getting a property from a
> stack whose destroystack property has been set to true does not
> cause that stack to stay in memory. I tried the following in the
> message box:
>
> answer file ""; get the bla of stack it; put the openstacks
>
> and the selected stack file is not among the lines of the
> openstacks. (Dave, I think your reply in this matter is not
> correct, unless I overlook something).

If I try this (using the short name and not the file name):

on mouseUp
   put "/Users/dave/Desktop/proptest.rev" into tStackFile

   put the myProp of stack tStackFile into field 1
   put the short name of stack  tStackFile into tShortname
   put cr & there is a stack tShortname after field 1
   delete stack tStackFile
   put cr & there is a stack tShortname after field 1

end mouseUp

The first "there is a stack tShortname" return true, and the second
returns false. So it would seem to be still in memory until you
delete it. I think in some way that this is logical, as how would the
engine know when to release it.

I think Jacque's comment that only stacks that have been through the
normal "open" procedure appear in the openStacks is correct.

Cheers
Dave