Rules governing stack purging

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Oct 30 11:48:16 EST 2006

I'm working with a client on a system that makes extensive use of data
stored in custom properties.

I had been under the impression that as long as the stack containing the
data has its destroyStack set to true, and as long as we don't open the
stack, everytime we access its properties we're getting it fresh from
disk rather than from cached memory.

Is that correct?

We're in the process of pinning down some anomalies in our system which
would seem to suggest that accessing properties can cause a stack to
remain in memory such that subsequent accesses are obtained from memory
rather than from disk.

I would love to be wrong, as it would complicate our system to have to
manually purge each stack before accessing it.

And as for that purging, in the absence of a purge command there is the
workaround of using the delete command, but at the moment my memory's
flakey:  does using "delete stack" merely purge the stack but not delete
the actual stack if it's a mainStack, or if it's a substack?

And once we confirm which type of stack we can safely purge without
deleting it using the "delete stack" command, what method do we use to
purge stacks of the other kind?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation