External won't load on some machines

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Oct 30 01:49:44 EST 2006

This is too weird. I have an app that uses a custom external. I've been
working with it for months, up until recently, when I stopped testing it.

Today I tried it again and it won't load at all, either in Revolution or
in the standalone. I get "error in function handler" at the place where
the external is called. The external is located in the correct Externals
folder (Rev) and in the correct place in the application bundle in the
standalone. I also tested in MC, where the external is located in the
correct place inside the engine's folder. The same copies of this
external have been sitting in these folders for over six months and
always worked in the past. All of these fail now. I have tried engines
2.7.4, 2.7.3, and 2.7.2 with the same results. I know that at least
2.7.2 and 2.7.3 were working fine previously. I used the same test stack
that has always worked before.

The standalone is shipping currently and we have had three people report
the same problem recently. However, most people using the exact same
download are not having a problem and the external loads fine. I sent a
new build to the client today, and it works fine for him too -- but when
I run it, it fails.

What would make an external fail to load on some machines and not others?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com