[OT] more stinkin s p a m

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Sat Oct 28 08:15:59 EDT 2006

I'm not so sure someone is harvesting the list. I use a very specific
address for posting here (runrev at ...) and the only messages I receive at
the alias are from the list and RunRev itself. Granted, I've been using
gmane for the past several months, and that obscures my address, but there
have been enough posts prior to that to have been harvested by now.

There is also the possibility that Mark hints at below (I think?) that
someone who has your email in their address book has had their system
compromised. Most spam is sent these days via "zombies" -- computers that
have been infected by a virus/trojan/worm. The malware installs silently,
harvests your various contacts lists, and even sends out email via your mail
server.