Standalone app as Frankensteinian Monster

Mark MacKenzie m.mackenzie at sasktel.net
Thu Oct 26 09:47:52 EDT 2006

Hi.  After a few month's work I am debugging the stand alone side of my
application.  So far the app works really well and with a complacent
gleam in my mind's eye I click on the quit button of the main stack and
my application won't die!  The program is in two parts really.  There is
a Rev generated front end and an sqllite data base using the alt3sql
"dll" (licensed copy, my own).

After days of coding tweaks, etc. I think I need a refresher course in
scripting the shutting down and successful quitting of an application.

The application quits normally albeit a touch slowly as it saves various
stacks (only when in the development environment, stacks are not saved
except for a preferences stack which is outside the standalone in a set
of "extra files")

I have the following code in a closeStackRequest handler in my topmost
(main) application stack ( I have commented out various activities to
try and find the stoppage):

on closeStackRequest -- confirm whether to close the window
  answer question "Are you sure you want to quit the entire program?"
with "Yes" or "No"
  if it is "Yes"
  then
    if the environment is "development"
    then
      leavingDevelopment
      pass closeStackRequest
    end if
    if the environment is "standalone application"
    then
      --quietDisconnectDB
      --leavingApplication
      --      quit
      --close stack "Navigator"
      KillAllPendingMessages
      --pass closeStackRequest
      quit
    end if
  end if
end closeStackRequest

on KillAllPendingMessages --courtesy of the list archives
   repeat for each line i in the pendingMessages
     cancel (item 1 of i)
   end repeat
end KillAllPendingMessages

on leavingApplication
   if "Navigator" is among the lines of the openStacks
  then
    close stack "Navigator"
  end if
  if "Bullets" is among the lines of the openStacks
  then
    close stack "Bullets"
  end if
  if "Attic" is among the lines of the openStacks
  then
    close stack "Attic"
  end if
  if "AboutStack" is among the lines of the openStacks
  then
    close stack "AboutStack"
  end if
  if "Calendar" is among the lines of the openStacks
  then
    close stack "Calendar"
  end if
  if "Primer" is among the lines of the openStacks
  then
    close stack "Primer"
  end if
  if "Suppliers" is among the lines of the openStacks
  then
    close stack "Suppliers"
  end if
  if "Brass" is among the lines of the openStacks
  then
    close stack "Brass"
  end if
  if "Propellant" is among the lines of the openStacks
  then
    close stack "Propellant"
  end if
  --    if "Loads" is among the lines of the openStacks
  --    then
  --      close stack "Loads"
  --end if
  if "Loads" is among the lines of the openStacks
  then
    close stack "Loads"
  end if
  if "Help" is among the lines of the openStacks
  then
    close stack "Help"
  end if
  save stack "ExtraFiles/ReloadingPrefs.rev"
  if "ReloadingPrefs" is among the lines of the openStacks
  then
    close stack "ExtraFiles/ReloadingPrefs.rev"
  end if
end leavingApplication

Any help, insight, pointers to working similar applications which do
evince a Frankensteinian lineage greatfully received.

Regards
Mark MacKenzie
Past Ink Publishing