Quicktime Multimedia Authoring - Nearly Dead?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Oct 25 10:24:16 EDT 2006

David Bovill wrote:
 > First it means SMIL is dead. That is because  podcasts and
 > iPod are not built on SMIL - so use it for now but don't
 > expect the standard to evolve.

Oh, but SMIL has already evolved far beyond Apple's weak support for it.
  While I agree with the assessment that Apple's NIH syndrome ("Not
Invented Here") apparently prevents them from fully capitalizing on this
open standard, SMIL has one characteristic which has not yet been fully
exploited:

As an ASCII-based format rather than a proprietary binary one, SMIL
lends itself uniquely well to dynamically-generated content.

Don't underestimate the value of the allmighty dollar (or Euro, as the
case may be).  SMIL allows netcasters to insert advertising content
specific to the viewer, perhaps more easily than any alternative.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation