AVI versus MOV in standalones - Apple Quicktime

Francis Nugent Dixon effendi at wanadoo.fr
Tue Oct 24 09:03:40 EDT 2006

Hi from Paris,

I use my Mac G4 with Rev 2.6.1 Build 152 to create several stacks using
Mp3 play and QT movies (I have QT Pro). I need to distribute these
stacks to family and friends using PCs (apparently, there are a few PC
users in the world !). Absolutely no problems with Mp3 files on both
platforms. Thanks to Mark Schonewille and André Garzia, I found that my
AVI and MOV movie files use the DIVX codec (I inherited them, so have
no control on the codec used). Although on my Mac, all movies play
well, I have not yet succeeded in playing the movies on the PC under
Stack Runner, although I downloaded a free DIVX codec to my PC (I get
the audio track but an empty movie widow). I haven't yet solved the
problem, and I don't know what I am doing wrong. The most important
problem I have then, is the difference between QT standard functions on
the Mac and the PC. Why are they different ? Can I use another player
(from within Rev) on the PC except QT ? Is there a freebie PC or Mac
software which can convert DIVX AVI/MOV files to a more "normal" codec
? that will run under QT on the PC, or how do I fix my QT on the PC to
run DIVX files  ?

And finally, this thread talks about "standalones". How do I create
standalones so that I don't have to use Stack Runner on the PC ( i.e.
do I have the required Rev software ) ?

Thanks for any enlightening answers ......

-Francis

"Nothing should ever be done for the first time !"