AVI versus MOV in standalones - Apple Quicktime regulations

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Mon Oct 23 14:02:42 EDT 2006

Hi Steve,

> I'm creating Rev standalones containing movies, for both Mac and
> Windows, to
> be distributed on CDs.   I create the Rev standalones on a Mac,
> incorporating
> Quicktime movies.   Since many Windows users do not have Quicktime
> installed
> on their computers, I include a Quicktime installer on the CD, but
> this seems
> to be unnecessary for Macs, since Macs come with Quicktime
> preinstalled.   My
> question is this:   Apple requires that they receive an application
> for
> permission to include their Quicktime installer, and they also
> require placement of
> their Quicktime logo on the CD label if a Quicktime installer is
> included.
> Can all of this be avoided, including the necessity of including
> the Quicktime
> installer, by making the Windows version of the standalones using
> AVI format?
> Do all Windows computers come with AVI reading capabilities
> preinstalled?
> Would there be any drawback to using AVI rather than MOV format?
> Thanks.

Just like the MOV format, AVI is just a container for many different
codecs!
So it depends on the codec you use to compress your AVI files.

BUT!
Starting with Rev 2.7.x the engine automatically loads QT (if present)
so setting "dontuseqt to true" will not have any effect!

(BTW, has this "clever" behaviour already been bugzillaed?)

And if the user has an older version of QT installed, this might not be
compatibvle with the codes you use in your QT movies resp. in the
AVI files.

A tiny vicious circle :-/

> Steve Goldberg
> www.medmaster.net