Multimedia Authoring - Quicktime Dead?

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Sat Oct 21 14:59:39 EDT 2006

Qscript is what drove me to Revolution. ;-)

LiveStage is an incredibly powerful tool, but the learning curve
makes Rev look like child's play. And Apple's track record recently
with breaking things in each successive release of QuickTime doesn't
help.

Anyway, having worked extensively with Keynote (v3 is by far the
best), a few notes:

When you export a presentation to a QT movie, you will be re-encoding
any embedded movies, so it tends to be a good idea to use high-
quality originals. It's also a good idea to export at the same frames
per second as the majority of your movies. Being based in the UK, I
just stick with 25fps for everything in case it ends up on a PAL DVD.

With QT exports, pretty well ALL interactivity is retained, including
URL links. BUT - when using hyperlinks to go from one slide to
another out of sequence there will be issues with transitions, so
it's best to leave them out, or do cheat and go to one slide earlier
and use an automatic transition. Gets complicated, though. :-(

H264 and Sorenson Video 3 are by far the best codecs to use, although
for high-res presentations h264 can get too heavy for the processor.

Ian