Bill's Boycott - was Open Letter to Rev: Quality Is Job #1 (Vista Install)

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Sat Oct 21 02:00:04 EDT 2006

Oh, Stephen...

Do we really need to go down that street?

It's not nice to imply that "hobby" users are not "serious":  the two are
NOT mutually exclusive.  They may pay less for a license, but they get
less, too, and, still, they PAY.

While not Bill Marriott-possibly hopping mad about the subscription model
vis-a-vis (long?)standing bugs, still I can see a few points to his
argument, which is how can one blindly keep ka-chinging into Rev's coffers
when one can't know how it will personally pay off?

I really suspect that it wouldn't be much fun to be a *nix user to keep
raiding the kitty to get... what exactly again?  And, while rather alot of
the *nix distro problems aren't Rev's fault, still, why should *nix users
keep paying and not getting too much in return?

Also, even some of us hobby users 'step up to the plate' in a fashion.  I
buy what I can (either personally and/or via my students and my
department -- really short change, I must admit) less because it actually
helps me in the classroom but rather because I wish to do what I can do
to help keep the Revolution 'keep on creepin' on like a bird that flew'
(apologies to Dylan).

Please, let us shoot the message, not the messenger because, as you so
aptly note, it's about community.

Judy