Open Letter to Rev: Quality Is Job #1

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Oct 20 12:30:30 EDT 2006

Bill-

Friday, October 20, 2006, 1:38:48 AM, you wrote:

> Some of you will say, "Bill it would be much more productive if you filed
> all this in Bugzilla." Well, I'm all for contributing to the community. But
> it takes time and effort to file a decent bug report. You need to have
> something reproducible, supply sample files, write it up properly, etc. This
> is no trivial task. And I just don't feel that it's worthwhile. I haven't

While I agree with you on all these points (all right - I haven't seen
the application error on quit thing, but I'll grant that YMMV) I do
have to take issue with this one. The first step in getting some of
these problems fixed is to write up a report on it. The BZ interface
is the connection between the users and the rev team. They may look in
on the list casually now and then, but they do pay attention to the
bug reports.

And yes, I know I've got unconfirmed reports that have been sitting in
there for a couple of years now, but I also have gotten responses to
bugs I've written up - they've been confirmed or merged into other
reports or something that indicates that a human read them and took
them seriously.

Another point - if I come across a bug I can look in BZ and see if
there's already a bug report on it. If someone's been there before I
can add a "me too" comment that is a flag for the engineers that it's
not just a single-instance bug and should be a sign that they should
take it more seriously. And some bug reports have workarounds in the
comments, which enables me to get on with my work even without an
immediate fix.

End of rant - I'm a QA engineer by profession, so this got one on my
nerves, but otherwise thanks for a well-thought-out and well-written
post. I do hope you sent a copy to runrev support as well.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net