Multimedia Authoring - Quicktime Dead?

GregSmith brucegregory at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 19 11:24:30 EDT 2006

In my quest for finding the ultimate multimedia authoring tool, I've come to
the tentative conclusion that QuickTime, (as far as an authoring platform is
concerned), is falling so far behind that it could soon be considered
"dead".  Apple, the very folks who should be promoting solutions for
interactive QuickTime haven't done anything, themselves, for years.  The two
applications that I find to be the most advanced QuickTime authoring
solutions, (LiveStage and VideoClix), haven't done anything to make their
packages attractive to new authors, not in years, either.  Visiting the
LiveStage website reveals that they are now focusing on being content
providers, themselves, rather than offering an authoring solution for
others.  When emailing the VideoClix people for some technical answers, I
get no response at all.

So, it looks to me like Flash authoring, for the present, is the only
viable, practical and timely solution for the kind of interactive authoring
I need to perform.  Also, for the Mac, there is only one thorough solution.
And, though I hate supporting these corporate monsters, I went ahead and
purchased the Macromedia Authoring Studio, for the total lack of finding
anything comparable elsewhere, at any price.  Very sad.

Greg Smith