shortcut problems

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Mon Oct 16 07:02:14 EDT 2006

On 16 Oct 2006, at 10:47, Henk van der Velden wrote:
> We did some testing. It turns out that the program sometimes thinks
> the defaultURL is the URL of the desktop where the shortcut is
> located (C:/Documents and Settings/carels/Bureaublad) instead of
> the folder where the program is located (//Bellefleur/M-schijf/
> Leerlingen/de dijk/hardinxveld.exe). How can this be? What can be
> done about it?

Klaus and Mark have given good tips about how to get round the problem.

The original cause of the problem probably lies in the shortcut
files. If you check the "properties" of the shortcut files from
Windows Explorer, you will find a "Start In" field. This field
determines the working directory (i.e. default directory) when your
application starts. This should normally point to the directory where
the linked file is located. But depending on how the shortcuts are
made, it may just point to the desktop.

Some installer maker programs that make shortcuts require you to set
this property specifically. I've been caught out a number of times by
forgetting to set it.

Cheers
Dave