Use of abbreviations in scripts

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Oct 15 21:58:28 EDT 2006

On Oct 15, 2006, at 5:17 PM, Ken Ray wrote:
> On 10/15/06 4:18 PM, "Dar Scott" <dsc at swcp.com> wrote:
>> So, my question to all, since it seems to be OK and even "in" to use
>> abbreviations, how about for examples on this list where newbies read
>> scripts?  Should those be spelled out or should newbies learn to read
>> abbrev early?  (The word "should" should be read in the most generous
>> sense in all places.)
>
> Personally, I think that newbies should be exposed to all forms of
> Revolution programming so that they can make their own decisions on
> how they
> want to code.

I am of two minds about this (beyond the passive "should be" and the
notion that example keeps people from making "their own decisions").

I think folks can learn Revolution programming without be exposed to
all "forms".

Second, I would encourage folks--when and if they have time--to use
what they consider good style or clear presentation in giving
examples.  Now we might not all agree on what is good style.  I would
encourage folks to present style they think appropriate and even
advocate that.  Well, any moral style.

Richard might encourage hungarian notation which I think is silly,
but I use lots of little functions, which Hurcules might find hard to
read, but he might use lots of unquoted literals, which Ken avoids,
but he likes the hungarian notation that Richard uses.  (One time
Richard and Ken gave a talk on style and I threw food at them,
telling them to keep their morals out of my code.  In reality, they
were not forcing anything and I was feeling guilty of neglecting a
clear style, and was "irate" because of that guilt.  So, I just threw
candy, and script the way I want.)

Dar