Use of abbreviations in scripts

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Oct 14 23:17:33 EDT 2006

On Oct 14, 2006, at 8:38 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Abbreviations are well documented in the Dictionary so I feel
> confident using them liberally, even in code for clients and in
> published libraries.   Abbreviations are a useful feature of
> xTalks, and since they have benefit for the user I see no harm and
> some good in helping share awareness of the benefit of that feature.

I seems that one would lose the "English-like" qualities of xTalk
when using abbreviations.  Maybe "English-like" is only a crutch for
new script writers and eventually it becomes an arbitrary language.

I practiced a little in some dummy scripts and it will take a while
before the average time for typing 'cd' is less than typing 'card'.
I make a lot of typos when using 'cd'.  I can see that in the best
cases 'cd' is faster, so there is some promise there.

Reading will take some practice.  I skim over sections of scripts
quickly and the English words help.

Dar