Use of abbreviations in scripts

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Oct 14 22:38:25 EDT 2006

Dar Scott wrote:
> I get the impressions that lots of folks use abbreviations.
>
> I didn't realize this at first and in learning to use Revolution I
> ending up abbreviating only two places (I think).  I abbreviate
> 'char' and--since I have trouble remembering color properties--I
> might sometimes use a color property that is an abbreviation.  (My
> abbreviation of 'char' has nothing to do with C.)  Maybe I abbreviate
> other places but don't know it.  For me, 'card' and 'graphic' are
> easier to read and type than 'cd' and 'grc'.  I saw a 'grc' once in a
> script and didn't know what it was.
>
> I am curious.  Is this so the text editor window can be narrower or
> expressions longer?  Is this kind of a club recognition signal?  Is
> this easier to type for those who use these.  I suppose I could get
> used to typing and reading them, so I don't want to make too big of a
> deal about their being harder to read and type.  What about scripts
> delivered to a customer?

Abbreviations in xTalk go back to the mother tongue, HyperTalk.
Presumably abbreviations were implemented for the same benefit they
provide in natural language:  They provide a convenient alternative
which makes writing more streamlined.

I started out using only a few ("bg" is an easy choice over
"background"), but a while back I was a one-armed typist for a year and
during that time every character was critical so I loved finding ways to
type as little as possible.  Even though I've been typing "normally" for
many years since, I still love saving a few milliseconds -- and
thousands of lines later those savings add up.

Abbreviations are well documented in the Dictionary so I feel confident
using them liberally, even in code for clients and in published
libraries.   Abbreviations are a useful feature of xTalks, and since
they have benefit for the user I see no harm and some good in helping
share awareness of the benefit of that feature.

Interestingly, the "abbreviated" token also has an abbreviated form:
"abbrev".  :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal