[OT] - REALBasic Claims 100K Users

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 12 05:33:34 EDT 2006

Do I count as:

1. a user of RealBasic

2. a user of Runtime Revolution

???

1. I downloaded the free Linux version of RealBasic a
while back - didn't like it and didn't use it -
however my personal details are, presumably, washing
around in the RealBasic company's database.

2. Somebody bought me a copy of DreamCard and I bought
a copy of RRMedia (something I have lived to regret),
and I do most of my work with the free version of RR
(2.2.1) that was available for a while for Linux.

Well,

1. NO!, but I bet I have been counted for RealBasic's
statistical purposes.

2. YES and NO;

YES,  insofar as I do use RR on an almost daily basis,
love it, feel "at home inside it", blah, blah, blah.

NO, insofar as I probably do not show up as more than
a 'blip' on RR's accountant's chart.

So the claims of RealBasic are silly and pointless - I
am happy to see that Runtime Revolution are not so
silly as to make daft claims of a similar nature.

Surely the way to assess a development suite's
popularity is to look at the web traffic related to
it:

Downloads of finished software packages,

Downloads of "bits and bobs", i.e. stacks,

Traffic on use lists and fora (err, OK, 'forums').

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

"Philosophical problems are confusions arising owing to the fluidity of meanings users attach to words and phrases."
                                       Mathewson, 2006