CGI for Slide show

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 11 16:35:06 EDT 2006

--- Sivakatirswami <katir at hindu.org> wrote:
> Has anyone done a CGI that runs a slide  show?
>
> basically you have a folder of images, user clicks
> "Next" or "Previous"
> and the CGI drives a new image and text into the
> same screen.
>
> If this could be an embedded object, great,
> otherwise, a complete web
> screen built from a template or something... the
> only caveat is
> of course, Rev has no session variables... so how do
> we store the users'
> current place in the slide show? If user ONE is
> flipping through the
> slide show and is on slide 5 and user TWO is
> flipping through the slide
> show and is  on slide 8, where  does  that
> information live? I suppose
> one could generate a hidden input variable on the
> fly, embed this in
> the page as a input if we want to use POST or  as a
> GET parameter
> in the cgi "next" button which is passed to the CGI
> in $QUERY or
> possibly we save cookie info?
>
> I recall some mentioned a few years back about
> someone successfully
> embedding stuff in a web page with CGI; I can also
> use  iFrame which is
> considered non-standard,  and deprecated
> (I don't know why... it works fine...I use it now.)
> Or push the show to a new top window which contains
> the entire
> presentation and no other elements.
>
> I see lots of ways of doing this pretty easily, but
> before digging into it I just wanted to check before
> re-inventing the
> wheel.
>
> TIA
>
> Sivakatirswami

Hi Swami,

While I can't give you a cgi script, here's my idea on
how I'd tackle this: put a form in the resulting html
file, with a hidden field that contains the current
slide number.

<form
action="http://example.com/cgi-bin/slideshow.rev"
method="POST">
... the normal stuff that includes the image ...
<input name="currentImage" type="hidden" value="5">
<input name="action" type="submit" value="Previous">
<input name="action" type="submit" value="Next">
</form>

Your cgi will receive the 'currentImage' and 'action'
parameters and will be able to determine what to do
next. For more complete control, you could also add a
hidden input that has the slideshow images directory.

Hope this gets you started,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>