CGI for Slide show

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue Oct 10 05:44:32 EDT 2006

Has anyone done a CGI that runs a slide  show?

basically you have a folder of images, user clicks "Next" or "Previous"
and the CGI drives a new image and text into the same screen.

If this could be an embedded object, great, otherwise, a complete web
screen built from a template or something... the only caveat is
of course, Rev has no session variables... so how do we store the users'
current place in the slide show? If user ONE is flipping through the
slide show and is on slide 5 and user TWO is flipping through the slide
show and is  on slide 8, where  does  that information live? I suppose
one could generate a hidden input variable on the  fly, embed this in
the page as a input if we want to use POST or  as a GET parameter
in the cgi "next" button which is passed to the CGI in $QUERY or
possibly we save cookie info?

I recall some mentioned a few years back about someone successfully
embedding stuff in a web page with CGI; I can also use  iFrame which is
considered non-standard,  and deprecated
(I don't know why... it works fine...I use it now.)
Or push the show to a new top window which contains the entire
presentation and no other elements.

I see lots of ways of doing this pretty easily, but
before digging into it I just wanted to check before re-inventing the
wheel.

TIA

Sivakatirswami
www.himalayanacademy.com

Get Hinduism Today Digital Edition. It's Free!
http://www.hinduismtoday.com/digital/