Real-time stack updating

Richard Miller wow at together.net
Wed Oct 11 08:33:16 EDT 2006

Hi Mark,

We actually have two programs that have similar updating processes.
Both of these are downloaded by our users from our web site.

This second program has three possible substacks, any one of which
may have an update waiting for download. We could have gone with an
automatic update process that occurs at startup, but the thought was
to give our users the option to update at their convenience. With
this second program, one of the substacks is a fair bit larger and
not something we necessarily wanted to force a user to wait for upon
startup. So an "update" button simply becomes visible on the opening
page of the main stack at startup if an update is available.

To answer your first questions, there's no preopenstack handler
involved and no lockmessages command used anywhere. The sequence of
commands is:

(From inside stack 2.. the .rev stack)

     Close this stack
     Open stack 1

(From inside stack 1.... the .exe stack)
     Delete stack 2
     Download new stack 2
     Open stack 2

Thanks.