Comparison of Multimedia

Luis luis at anachreon.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 19:21:40 EDT 2006

Hiya,

 From their site:

VideoClix 2.9 Lite & Updates For: Short video Blogs
Quicktime
$ 49 US

VideoClix 2.9 Edu For: Educational use & Podcasts
Quicktime, AVI, Mpeg1 & 4, DV
$ 249 US

VideoClix 2.9 Pro For: Commercial use
Quicktime, AVI, Mpeg1 & 4, Flash, DV
$ 699 US

VideoClix OEM License
$ 9995 US

Are you nuts! Or loaded? (Are you married?... ;)

The interface looks very simple, but it doesn't look like it couldn't
be done with Revolution and the EnhancedQT External (have a look at:
http://www.runrev.com/spotlight_on/alida1.php to see what I mean. No
EQT, but then again, he didn't need it). Revolution and EQT could be
used to create your own 'creator'. The export formats would probably
be doable with Media Cleaner (now Autodesk Cleaner, I think it's
$500) or some other app.
I haven't tried it, and at those prices... Although the Commercial
licence isn't too bad considering others around. Norpath and
QuickMedia are roughly half the price. It really depends what your
target markets are.
I'd opt for the cheap end, and if I find I'm rolling in it I'd invest
in a broader market by purchasing, possibly, such an app. But man,
$9995 just for rebranding?! I'm sure with Revolution, EQT and some
other apps you could do it for a fraction of the cost.
Even though I do like Norpath, a lot, it still falls short for some
other things I want to do (MIDI panning for example. It has it, but
not 'controllable'). I'd easily be able to do the same as VideoClix,
and then work on the export formats with some other app (probably
find a freebie somewhere in Sourceforge).
Kagi integration would be cool, but then there are other ways to
integrate payment systems. Like I said, I'd start small and work up
from there.

Download the trial and see. But really test the trial and see what
support you get for any issues you crop up with. After that, well,
it's your money!
But at first glance, looking at the capabilities of the other apps,
it doesn't tempt me at the moment, it's too specific, and the
projects I have lined up need greater flexibility and facilities.

I'm sure more experienced Transcript coders than me on this list
would be able to drum up something similar (dang! There goes another
idea...).

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Luis.

On 10 Oct 2006, at 22:53, GregSmith wrote:

> [...]
> is favorable and Apple, itself, (herself, himself), uses this
> QuickTime
> dedicated software.  Now, just casually considering all of the
> stuff it
> allows you to do inside the QuickTime container, and how universal
> QuickTime
> is becoming, (imagine dispensing training solutions via iPods), I
> can even
> imagine being able to put together a rather primitive adventure
> game, just
> by using this app.  What do you know or think about it?
>
> Greg Smith
>

> Luis-24 wrote:
>>
>> Hiya,
>>
>> I've started messing with QuickMedia, and yes, tutorials? What
>> tutorials?... No really tho', it's fairly easy to pick up once you
>> get going.
>> I haven't touched the scripting but it does have a BIG PLUS for me:
>> MIDI with balance AND pitch control! Yes folks! In the same app!
>> What it calls SQL, well...isn't. Internet, erm, hmmm.
>> It is very basic in its approach, which makes experimenting easier,
>> and it's the nippiest multimedia app I've used.
>> Does Mac and PC too.
>> Support? I haven't experienced it really, like I said, started a
>> short while ago. But the forums are very, how can I say it... French?
>> And the manuals, well, they did their best!
>>
>> Now, Norpath. There is a very good tutorial. Links into SQL very
>> nicely. Internet aware (I was amazed what I could do with it quite
>> frankly, a bit like grabbing .rev files into rev). You can modify the
>> Elements to add to your Library. Runs Javascript snippets nicely too.
>> The only downfall is that it's very heavy: There's a lot of 'initial'
>> overhead for a simple app (basic 'connect to SQL' was 25MB) but after
>> that the size is bearable. A little free addon from their site gives
>> you access to JSP.
>> But its crowning glory for me is the visual programming (and yes, I
>> come from an Assembly language and Forth background, so go figure.
>> Maybe it's because things have gotten so complicated
>> nowadays...mumble...grumble...).
>> Does Mac, PC, Linux, Solaris...
>> Support? Try and Google Norpath, all you get is reviews: It's almost
>> like an industrial secret... Support is free for 30 days and then
>> there are no forums. I've told them I'd set one up if they didn't. It
>> looks like I have to.
>>
>> Grab a trial and follow the tutorials for Norpath and mess around
>> with QuickMedia. I reckon you should get a flavour for what they can
>> do in a couple of weeks.
>>
>> Let me know if you need more details!
>> If you want I can try to mock something up in Norpath (give me an
>> idea) and post it on my site.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Luis.
>>

>> On 10 Oct 2006, at 19:32, GregSmith wrote:
>>

>>> Luis:
>>>
>>> Have you used QuickMedia?  It does, indeed, look really appealing,
>>> from the fact that it doesn't appear to have much in the way of
>>> tutorial
>>> examples.  Without comprehensive learning resources, the most