Macro Substitution

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Oct 9 21:25:51 EDT 2006

Bob-

> Lemme cite an example of Macro Substitution:

> put "/sbt/apdata1/apmast" into m0apmast
> put "02" into m0company

> now referring to &m0apmast.&m0company. would yield "/sbt/apdata1/
> apmast02"

> The ampersand is the Macro Substitution operator in Foxpro.

> I think I can code around this. It's just that I am finding I am
> going to have to do a lot of recoding to make this port work.

It seems to me that your problem is not with macro substitutions but
with operators. Trying

    put "/sbt/apdata1/apmast" into m0apmast
    put "02" into m0company
    put m0apmast & m0company

works fine. You can't override or overload operators in Transcript, so
you're going to have to do something about your Foxpro ampersands, and
in the process you're going to have to do something about the dot
operator for concatenating strings. So you'll have to code around this
in any event.

My take on this would be to drop the ampersands as unnecessary and
replace the dot concatenator with an ampersand.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net