shell vs. process

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon Oct 9 19:10:37 EDT 2006

On Oct 9, 2006, at 3:37 PM, Luis wrote:

> ICMPd is the daemon ('shell app') that runs the request over that
> port. It would be a case of recreating the ICMPd functionality in
> Rev, all it's doing is sending specifically formed packets over
> that port that servers/routers/etc running their own ICMPd will
> respond to.
>
> It's a small app. If anyone else is interested then I might have a
> look at the code (should be able to get a hold of the C/C++ source
> code) and attempt to translate it to Transcript. Not too sure how
> tight I can get the timings, but it should be accurate enough.

Luis,

I'm no expert in this area and I would love to learn that you can
write your own ping utility in Rev.  I researched this a few days ago
in an attempt to do so.  Creating the actual ICMP echo request
message isn't a big deal in Rev.  I *think* the problem you would
have is when that message gets wrapped up in the IP Datagram
structure which I believe Rev does when you write to a socket.  The
docs say that Rev's open socket command only uses "TCP" and "UDP" so
there doesn't seem to be a way to send data over a socket that
identifies itself as the ICMP protocol.  I would think that ping
daemons would only watch for traffic that was send using the ICMP
protocol but I don't know.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems - www.bluemangolearning.com