OT: Macbook Random Shutdown

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 8 19:26:49 EDT 2006

Matt wrote:  You might want to check the discussion boards on Apple's
website.

Macintouch has a very helpful thread:

http://macintouch.com/readerreports/macbook/topic4265.html

and I'm sure there's lots of good info on Apple's Discussion board.
 From a quick perusal of macintouch, it looks like the problem is
often heat-related and fixes have included logic board replacement,
heat sink replacement, heat sensor problems (vide infra).  Other
things that appear to have worked sometimes are removing third party
RAM and/or reseating the RAM.  Also, throttling the CPU back (this
was also suggested as a fix for MBP noise issues until Apple finally
isolated the problem and initiated logic board swaps).

All of the above is a summary of what I've read.  I'm using a MacBook
Pro, so I've had OTHER (noise) problems.  My suspicion is that once
Apple really figures out the culprit, they will do a "silent recall"
like they did for MBPs with the CPU whine--they simply posted a tech
note that said that owners who were experiencing noise problems with
their MBP should contact Apple for repair.

Marian