[OT] "user-friendly" versions of Linux

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 8 06:56:35 EDT 2006

There is also "Linux XP" which is based on Fedora Core
3 and crippled to the point of being able to install
only 2 extra packages: Open Office and Adobe Reader.

I have just been playing with it on my "play-time PC"
and am rushing back to put Ubuntu back on! Linux XP
has sort of cheap, imitation eye-candy that is a
pastiche of Window XP (but would fool no-one), has
little or none of the supposed benefits of Linux over
Windows. Quite frankly, if one is so desperate to keep
the XP look, then just keep with Windows XP - which is
not a bad OS as things go: hey, you can run Open
Office for Windows!

Pandering to the lowest common denominator (pace
Linspire, Linux XP) probably keeps nobody happy.

And,

as systems such as Kubuntu are really very straight
forward to install,
contain either Kynaptic or Synaptic to install extra
stuff, I wonder what their value is.

I cannot see the reason for the "cult of purity" that
seems to have the Open-Source community by the
cough-coughs - the Ubuntu peole rejected my offer of a
whole bagful of Elementary EFL programs (authored with
RR) because they were not made using Open Source
software - silly really.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

"Philosophical problems are confusions arising owing to the fluidity of meanings users attach to words and phrases."
                                       Mathewson, 2006