[OT] smalltalk video

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 11:59:36 EDT 2006

The Smalltalk world,where i'm modestly active, has a number of interesting
things going on these days including a brilliant new project called Sophie
for multi-media "book" thingies (pardon the jargon :-) ). It also features
what I suspect is the largest non-Java set of available llibraries, classes,
doodads and plugins of any popularly accessible programming language,
including Ruby (at least for now) and possibly excepting JavaScript (if you
consider it popularly accessible, which I do).

There are lots of Smalltalks available, too. A new product called Strongtalk
is emerging as the new fair-haired entry because of its speed but it's
pretty new and untested.

Lots and lots of folks still doing Smalltalk, though the crowd seems to
remain largely confined to educators and those exploring multimedia, 3D,
etc. It's a surprisingly resilient crowd given the passage of more than
three decades since its inception.